Your Responsibilities As A Tenant
- Test and clean (by vacuuming or dusting) smoke alarms at least once every 12 months
- Replace any flat or nearly flat batteries
- Advise the property manager/owner if if there is any issue with the alarm (apart from batteries)
- Allow the property manager/owner right of entry to install smoke alarms
A tenant must not remove a smoke alarm, remove the battery (other than to replace it) or do anything to reduce the effectiveness of the alarm (e.g paint it).
- Test the smoke alarm every month to make sure it is working
- Contact the agent or landlord if the smoke alarm is not working
- Contact the agent or landlord if the smoke alarm omits an occasional chirping noise as the battery or smoke alarm may be faulty
It is good practice for tenants to clean and test all smoke alarms, and replace batteries in battery powered smoke alarms. Please contact your landlord or agent if the alarm beeps and needs attention. Tenants should not remove smoke alarms for any reason.