New legislation as set out in the Fire and Emergency Services (Domestic Smoke Alarms) Amendment Act 2016 and Building Fire Safety (Domestic Smoke Alarms) Legislation Amendment Regulations 2016, requires Queensland landlords to ensure a higher level of safety in their rental properties. These new requirements must be in place by January 1, 2022 and necessitate the following additional measures, over and above the Fire and Rescue Services Amendment Act 2006.
- Smoke alarms must be installed in every bedroom of a home
- All smoke alarms must be powered by either 240 volt or 10 year lithium battery
- All smoke alarms must be interconnected to each other
- All smoke alarms must be photoelectric rather than ionisation
- All smoke alarms must meet new Australian Standard 3786:2014
- There is an ongoing requirement to have all smoke alarms serviced and cleaned, and
- 9v batteries changed if required, within 30 days prior to each lease renewal or change.
Further information can be found on the Queensland Fire & Emergency Services website:
Smoke Alarm Solutions - Ultimate System and Service Package
In order to comply with the new Queensland legislation, we recommend upgrading your property with our Ultimate Package.
The Ultimate System and Service Package consists of two components:-
- An installation cost for supplying and installing the correct number and type of smoke alarms at a cost of $229 (inc GST) per alarm.
- An annual Ultimate Smoke Alarm System Service for the cost of $129 (inc GST) per year.
Two Great Offers To Comply!
To assist you with your first year complying, we offer equal, monthly instalment, INTEREST FREE payment terms of 12, 24 or 36 months. Upon installation completion, you will commence your monthly payments for your installation costs direct with Smoke Alarm Solutions inclusive of your first year on the Ultimate Smoke Alarm Service.
We will take all reasonable steps to send you a reminder that your annual compliance is due for renewal at least 30 days prior to each anniversary of compliance. If you do not wish to maintain the annual Ultimate Smoke Alarm System Service, please contact us promptly otherwise after your first anniversary of compliance we will automatically issue your Managing Agent with an invoice for the next year of the Ultimate Smoke Alarm System Service $129 (inc GST) to ensure ongoing compliance.
Landlord’s authorisation to ensure compliance with new legislation
Please install the required number of additional smoke alarms in my property/ies in order to meet new compliance standards as set out in the Fire and Emergency Services (Domestic Smoke Alarms) Amendment Act 2016 (Qld) and the Building Fire Safety (Domestic Smoke Alarms) Legislation Amendment Regulation 2016 (Qld).
I understand the above costs involved to make my property compliant to new legislation and an invoice will be issued to me, care of my Managing Real Estate Agency specified above, following completion of works by a qualified Smoke Alarm Solutions electrician to upgrade the compliance level of my property/ies.
I understand that there will be additional costs passed on to me if any existing 240v or 10 year lithium battery smoke alarm cannot be interconnected to the other 240v smoke alarms in the property.