Home Safe Solutions Ts and Cs
Home Safe Solutions
Available for properties with Victorian postcodes only.
The Home Safe Solutions Service will usually be carried out within business hours (Monday to Friday; 8.30am to 5:00 pm).
Smoke Alarm Solutions provides the Home Safe Solutions Service in order to assist landlords of Victorian properties to meet the smoke alarm, electrical and gas safety requirements, as set out in the Residential Tenancies Amendment Act 2018.
Under our Home Safe Solutions Service, we offer a Smoke Alarm Safety Inspection every year as well as an Electrical Safety Inspection and/or a Gas Safety Inspection every two years. All services will be carried out in the first year of enrolment. Smoke Alarm Safety Inspections will continue to be carried out every year providing the Subscription remains active. An electrical Safety Inspection and/or a Gas Safety Inspection will be carried out every second year thereafter the initial inspection.
Smoke Alarm Safety Inspection
Under our Home Safe Solutions Service, a Smoke Alarm Safety Inspection is carried out annually as per the Smoke Alarm Solutions Platinum Subscription which can be located here and as per Smoke Alarm Compliance Services above.
Electrical Safety Inspection
Under our Home Safe Solution Service, an Electrical Safety Inspection will be carried out in respect of all electrical installations, electrical fittings and all electrical appliances once every two years delivered by or under the supervision of a qualified electrician, who may be contracted by Smoke Alarm Solutions, as per the checks described in the Residential Tenancies Regulations 2021. An electrical safety and compliance check will be carried out in the initial year of the Home Safe Solutions Service and every second year thereafter providing the Subscription remains active. At the initial inspection, we will carry out an electrical safety and compliance check as per section 4 of AS/NZS 3019 and will include:
1. Switchboard tests - a thorough switchboard inspection including an RCD/safety switch test.
2. Power point tests - earth loop and polarity tests of all accessible power point.
3. Electrical appliance inspection - a thorough inspection of all listed landlord provided electrical appliances, checking for damage to plugs, leads and casing.
4. Replacement of faulty items - replacement of faulty or damaged safety switches, circuit breakers and standard (as determined by Smoke Alarm Solutions) light switches and power points limited to:
- up to 1 damaged safety switch; and/or
- up to 2 circuit breakers; and/or
- up to 4 single or double gang standard power points; and/or
- up to 4 standard light switches
5. Safety check of the switchboard and each listed landlord supplied electrical appliance, including a comprehensive compliance check of the property against the Australian Standard.
6. Comprehensive Warranty - 12-month service warranty on any repaired and replaced electrical fittings.
7. Safety and Compliance Report - an Electrical Safety and Compliance Report provided following completion of each inspection.
This Electrical Safety Inspection will involve a visual inspection and test of relevant items, installed and accessible at the time of the inspection. Smoke Alarm Solutions and their contractors cannot be held liable for any change in condition of that equipment, any loss or damage, including for consequential loss, arising from any defect or condition not noted at time of inspection nor for any failure to inspect, identify or advise you of any defect or failure other than those specifically noted on the report including liability arising from inaccessibility, oversight or negligence. The Electrical Safety Inspection report will be provided to the agent or landlord who requested the service. Any liability to any third party to whom it is provided, is specifically excluded including for negligence.
Reference to electrical appliance means a hardwired electrical appliance supplied by the landlord or home owner at the property and expressly excludes solar installations and any appliance supplied by a tenant residing at your property, and includes (but may not be limited to):
- Electric oven
- Electric hot plates
- Electric hot water units
- Electric range hoods
- Fixed electric heaters
- Electric air-conditioners
Electrical installations, fittings and appliances must be accessible to be included in the Service. Accessible means that the installations, fitting, or electrical appliance is not under the house, in the roof, on the roof or obscured by items that cannot be moved due to weight, risk of damage to floor or surfaces, hard wired (e.g., ovens) or above a certain height. Where the installation, fitting or appliance is inaccessible, the Scheduled Electrical Service will not be provided in respect of that installation, fitting, or appliance.
For each Property enrolled in the Home Safe Solution Service with a fully paid service, Smoke Alarm Solutions will reattend the enrolled property up to one additional time (other than initial inspection) for free within the 24 month service period, for any electrical safety issue(s) relating to an electrical appliance initially checked as part of the Service, including switchboard, power point or switch faults (but excluding general faults in electrical appliances, lighting and in all inaccessible electrical fittings or fixtures) and replacement of faulty or damaged safety switches, standard light switches, standard power points and circuit breakers (but excluding globe replacement). We are not liable to replace or repair any item which has been damaged by tenant or property occupant following our initial repair/replacement. At this complimentary reinspection, we will replace faulty items, limited to:
- up to 1 damaged safety switch; and/or
- up to 2 circuit breakers; and/or
- up to 4 standard single or double gang power points; and/or
- up to 4 standard single or double gang light switches
If a Property’s service is terminated, the above Extended Services are null and void.
If we are asked to attend in addition to the one free return visit as specified above, we will charge a call-out fee plus materials as per the attached Pricing.
If we identify additional electrical items requiring replacement in order to comply with legislation, which are over and above the free inclusions, they will be charged at the following rates, which can be found here, up to a total value of $100. If total value of replacement exceeds $100, authorisation for approval will be sought from real estate agent. If approval can not be obtained whilst onsite, an additional call out fee at our hourly rate will be charged, which can be found here.
Gas Safety Inspection
Gas Safety Inspections will be carried out by the following third party, on behalf of Smoke Alarm Solutions.
Company Name – Checkmate Compliance Management Pty Ltd
ACN – 164815374
ABN – 95164815374
Company Address - Factory 4/4 Norwest Ave, Laverton North 3026
A Gas Safety Inspection will be carried out in the initial year of service and every second year thereafter, providing the Subscription remains active. This includes a full service, maintenance check and where applicable a safety and spillage check with a carbon monoxide analyser and negative pressure test.
A Gas Safety and Compliance Report and Negative Pressure and CO Spillage report (if applicable to the appliances) will be issued after each Scheduled Gas Service is completed.
Activities carried out every second year are as follows:
- A leak and pressure retention test on the main gas line – including recording of appliance burner pressures where test points deemed accessible.
- Negative pressure test – to test for negative pressure that ensures carbon monoxide isn’t being drawn into living spaces via flue or chimney – for open flues type appliances only, as required.
- Carbon monoxide spillage test - a carbon monoxide spillage test on all gas heating appliances and internal hot water systems according to the rigorous standards set by Energy Safe Victoria – including CO Tests for ducted heating units.
- Replacement of faulty items – replacement of up to four faulty or damaged thermocouples and four protective coating of synthetic pipework
- Check of the property against the Australian Standards. Provide advice and/or a quote for rectification works if required.
- Comprehensive service warranty - 12-month warranty on any serviced appliances.
- Safety and Compliance Report – a Gas Safety and Compliance Report will be provided in accordance with 221ZH Building ACT 19913 after gas rectification works are completed. This provides insurance for the client/consumer against defective workmanship for a period of 6 years. It does not cover warranty on materials or the appliance serviced in question. That is as per the manufacturer’s details.
Reference to gas appliance means a gas appliance supplied by the landlord or (and expressly excludes any appliance supplied by a tenant residing at the property), and includes (but may not be limited to):
- Ducted heating cupboard
- Ducted Heating External
- Ducted Heating Roof
- Free Standing Oven
- Gas Log Fire
- Gas Potbelly
- Hot Water Continuous flow (External)
- Hot Water Continuous flow (Internal)
- Hot Water Storage Tank (External)
- Hot Water Storage Tank (Internal)
- Room sealed instantaneous hot water
- Solar Hot Water
- Space Heater
- Space Heater Room Sealed
- Wall Furnace
- Wall furnace power flue
- Wall Oven
- Hydronic Heating
- Pool heating
- Main pressure BBQ
Gas installations, fittings and Appliances must be accessible in order to be included in the Service. Accessible means that the gas installations, fitting, or appliance is not under the house, in the roof, on the roof or obscured by items that cannot be moved due to weight, risk of damage to floor or surfaces, hard wired (e.g., ovens) or above a certain height. Where the installation, fitting or appliance is inaccessible, the Scheduled Gas Service will not be provided in respect of that installation, fitting, or appliance.
Appliances that are deemed inaccessible as per the above will be noted and recorded to the best of our ability. CO testing will still be provided and recorded at accessible outlets of ducted heaters as per requirements.
Please note, if we identify a gas appliance fault, we may need to turn off gas supply to the property in order to rectify issue or fault.
In the event of gas having to be turned off to the property we will required to inform Environmental Services Victoria. (ESV)
Additional Gas Services
For each Property enrolled in the Home Safe Solution Service with a fully paid service, Smoke Alarm Solutions will reattend the enrolled property up to one additional time (other than initial inspection) for free within the 24 month service period, for any gas safety issue(s) relating to a gas appliance initially checked as part of the Service. We are not liable to replace or repair any item which has been damaged by tenant or property occupant following our initial service/repair/replacement or if owner has not rectified a fault identified at initial inspection. At this complimentary visit, we will replace faulty items, limited to:
- up to 4 faulty or damaged thermocouples; and/or
- up to 2 protective coatings of synthetic pipework.
If a Property’s service is terminated, the above Additional Services are null and void.
If we are asked to attend in addition to the one free return visit as specified above, we will charge a call-out fee of $120 plus materials.
Additional Service Offering
Filter Cleaning of appliance filters of dust and debris during the inspection process.
Removal of appliance filters and clean built-up dust and fluff from filters on space and wall heaters.
Clean and clear debris and foreign materials from hot water services.
A $10 per appliance fee will apply if requested by the agent prior to the inspection being conducted.